Resources: Knowledge is Power
Quick Links to Resources on the Web
Our hope is to provide patients and families with as much information and help as they need. The following links are especially helpful and offer a wide range of resource material. For additional information, visit the Hospice Care Database of Links, which currently has over 650 links of interest.
Aid for the Hearing Impaired
The Florida Relay Services is a communications system that allows hearing persons and Deaf, hard of hearing, or speech-impaired persons to communicate by telephone. Florida Relay customer service is available 24 hours a day 365 days a year at 1-800-676-3777 (English) or 1-800-676-4290 (Spanish) For more information visit Florida Relay Services at: www.ftri.org.
Compassionate Care Spanish-language HelpLine: 877-658-8896.
Are you caring for a loved one who is seriously ill? Do you have questions about grief and where to find support? Do you have questions about hospice services and end-of-life care?
Cuidando con Cariño is a toll-free HelpLine that offers information and resources for people living with or caring for someone with a serious illness. Our bilingual staff can answer questions on grief, caregiving, advance directives and other end-of-life issues. They can also help you find community hospice or palliative care programs and services. Call the Compassionate Care Spanish-language HelpLine today for a compassionate, listening ear and free information.
Caregiving and Advocacy Resources
- Transitions — a free program in Marion County for those with life-limiting illnesses but who are not ready for hospice care.
- GovBenefits.gov — Your Benefits Connection: GovBenefits is a partnership of many Federal agencies and organizations with a shared vision— to provide improved, personalized access to government agencies.
- Aging with Dignity: Advocates for the needs of elders and their caregivers, with a particular emphasis on improving care for those at the end of life.
- Americans for Better Care of the Dying (ABCD): ABCD is a non-profit public charity dedicated to social, professional, and policy reform aimed to improve the care system for patients with serious illness, and their families.
- On Our Own Terms: Based on two years of research and production, "On Our Own Terms" takes Bill Moyers to the front lines of the movement to improve end-of-life care and reports on the best models for change.
Death, Dying, Grief, & Bereavement Support
Your First Choice
Contact our Speakers Bureau for a professional speaker on a variety of hospice-related subjects; available to make a presentation to your church, club or civic group, including:
- Hospice Overview: what hospice IS and what it ISN’T
- Five Wishes (Advance Directives and DNR)
- Transitions Overview: Resources for those with advancing illness
- Understanding and Living with Grief
- Monarch Center for Hope & Healing Overview
- Is it a Senior Moment or Something More Serious?
- Volunteering for Hospice of Marion County
- Catheters and UTIs
- Caring For Your Cancer Patients
- Dementia and Delirium: Caregiver Issues at the EOL
- Infection Control and DNRs
- Importance of Managing Your BP
- Opioid Medication: Safe and Effective
- Managing Respiratory Symptoms
- Medication and Food Interactions
- Stress Management for Staff
Healthy Living and Support Groups
- www.monarchcenter-marion.com — free community support for those who have lost a loved one. No charge.
- www.quitday.org — QuitDay's mission is to help people add 10 healthy years to their lives by inspiring people to quit smoking, and have a positive impact on the lives of their loved ones and their children.
- www.cancer.org — American Cancer Society also supports QuitDay's cause to help the elderly live long and healthy lives.
- Mesothelioma Guide provides both mesothelioma patients and their loved ones with up-to-date information. This website features resources that can help locate the best doctors and treatment options to aid in improving prognosis.
Hospice Affiliated Companies
- Florida Palliative Equipment, LLC, dba Accent Medical — an authorized non-profit durable medical equipment supplier, serving the tri-county area. Accent Medical sells directly to the public through its warehouse and at its new store located at 920 Bichara Blvd in The Villages.
- SummerField Suites, LLC — beautiful non-profit residential facility, tri-licensed as an assisted living facility, extended congregate care and limited nursing services facility.
- Center for Comprehensive Palliative Care, LLC — program to provide pain and symptom management for those in any stage of illness. When you are facing a serious illness, you need relief from pain or other symptoms, such as fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite and shortness of breath. Relief from stress; support for your family. The Center works directly with your physician.
General Information about Hospice